Posted by Jennifer Seavor, Senior Associate
Wife of a Ford Motor Company employee develops mesothelioma after washing her husband’s overalls
Margaret McConnell was independent and active until early 2016 when she began to notice symptoms of shortness of breath feeling very tired.
She developed a dry and persistent cough and attended her GP who referred her to the hospital. A chest x-ray was performed and showed fluid on Margaret’s lung. The fluid was drained, easing Margaret’s symptoms but she was then given the devastating diagnosis of mesothelioma, an asbestos related cancer.
Margaret remained positive but unfortunately deteriorated quickly and passed away in November 2016.
Margaret had instructed specialist asbestos diseases solicitor, Jennifer Seavor, following her diagnosis and Jennifer was able to visit her at home to take a witness statement.
Initially, Margaret was unsure how she may have been exposed to asbestos but told Jennifer how she had always washed her late husband’s work overalls. Her husband had worked at Ford Motor Company in Dagenham, working on the assembly lines. Asbestos was widely used in the motor production industry particularly in brake and clutch components. Margaret’s husband was therefore most likely exposed to asbestos whilst working for Ford.
Margaret could remember her husband coming home from work in his overalls which were very dirty and dusty. She did not have a washing machine at the time, so would always shake out the overalls to remove some of the dirt and dust before washing, unknowingly releasing asbestos dust into the air around her. She would then use a rubbing board to clean the overalls by hand. She did this everyday, unaware of the dangers of exposure to asbestos dust.
Jennifer commenced a claim against Ford Motor Company Limited and Margaret’s daughter, Jan, continued with the claim after her mother’s death.
Margaret’s claim settled in October 2016 for over £70,000.
Jan said “I dealt with Jennifer Seavor who was excellent. I always remember the day she visited my mum and how kind she was. I am so grateful for the amount of work Jennifer has put into this case”.
If you or a family member have been affected by asbestos disease or would like any advice then please do not hesitate to contact Jennifer Seavor or another member of our specialist mesothelioma and asbestos disease team.
01225 459991 Email us