Accident Abroad Compensation Claims | Royds Withy King

Accidents abroad

Clear understanding of foreign jurisdictions and local laws

Independently accredited personal injury solicitors

Trusted network of overseas contacts

Top Tier personal injury law firm

Experienced native language speaking solicitors

Helping your compensation claim for your foreign accident or illness

‘Sustaining an injury while abroad can be traumatic. We believe that making a claim in such circumstances needn’t be.’

Whether you were away on holiday or for work, if you have an accident or illness while abroad it can be a very stressful time.  Getting the right legal advice can help you understand what you are entitled to and whether you can bring a travel compensation claim in the UK or abroad.

Accident abroad compensation claims explained

From foreign traffic accidents to food poisoning, whatever the cause of your accident or illness, we can tell you if you can make a claim for compensation once you’re back in the UK. We are also vastly experienced at assisting those who suffer an accident whilst visiting the UK either on holiday or for business, ensuring you are appropriately compensated when you return home.

  • Understanding the local laws

    The country you were visiting will doubtless have different laws and procedures to the UK. We have helped many clients bring successful claims in the past so are able to explain what is involved, whilst dealing with the legal complexities on your behalf.

  • Assessing the compensation

    How compensation is calculated varies from country to country. The amount of compensation you might be able to claim will depend on what type of accident you had, where it happened and whether you were travelling independently or with a tour operator. We will explain how and where you can bring your claim and advise you on the differences between claims brought at home and abroad.

  • Making a car accident abroad claim

    We are experienced in claiming compensation for many different types of foreign accident and illness. If you have had a traffic accident while abroad we can give you legal advice about whether you are entitled to claim compensation.

  • Excellent overseas contacts

    You can be sure that Royds Withy King has the expertise to deal with your claim, thanks to our connections with overseas lawyers and translators as well as foreign language speakers within the team. So you can be certain that your claim will be handled expertly and with sensitivity.

Chambers 2015 Royds Withy King logopi

We have been very happy with the service provided and would have no hesitation in recommending your company to friends/family

Edna Hulford


Travel law encompasses a wide variety of accident and personal injury claims. Some examples where we have been able to help include; if you have been involved in car accident abroad, suffered from food poisoning at a hotel or restaurant, injured yourself at your hotel or on a cruise ship, or been involved in an accident at an airport or on-board an aeroplane. Claims can be brought against local authorities, tour operators, foreign hotels or businesses, airline carriers and cruise ship lines. Get in touch to find out whether you can make a claim for an accident abroad.

If you or someone in your family has been involved in a road traffic accident abroad, we may be able to help. It is possible to claim both within Europe, and Internationally, across the United States, Asia, South America, the Middle East and Australia. Within Europe, European law provides additional protection for claims against foreign motor vehicle insurers and this is expected to continue even if the UK leaves the European Union.

Yes. You may have encountered difficulties bringing a claim through your travel insurance policy, for example you may not have the correct level of cover, or may be unhappy with the service from your travel insurer’s recommended solicitors.

If this is the case, we may be able to help, as we can consider taking over the claim from another solicitor or discuss other funding options available to you, including claiming on a ‘no win no fee’ basis. We are happy to discuss this in more detail over the phone or via email.

Taking out travel insurance is not a requirement to bringing a compensation claim for an accident overseas. We often help those injured abroad even where they do not have a travel insurance policy and can offer ‘no win no fee’ agreements to individuals where appropriate. Contact us to discuss the options available to you.

We regularly assist individuals with claims against their holiday package provider or tour operator in circumstances where they had the accident at a hotel, during air or sea travel, during a transfer, or whilst on an excursion booked as part of the holiday. We can investigate the responsible party and determine whether your holiday is covered by the Package Travel, Package Holiday and Package Tours Regulations 1992, in which case the tour operator can be held responsible for the actions of those who supply services, even where they are third parties or local agents and companies. This often means we can bring a compensation claim in the UK for an accident that happened abroad.

Depending on where you had the accident and the circumstances involved there are different time limits that apply. One of the first steps we take with our Clients is to establish all of the accident circumstances and advise which jurisdiction, local laws and procedure will apply. Time limits, also known as limitation periods, can vary a great deal between different countries and sometimes even between different states within a country. We always advise that it is important to get in touch as soon as possible, to find out more and ensure you remain entitled to claim compensation.

Contact us now to find out how we could help with accident abroad compensation claims.