Helping British Citizens work and live abroad

There are an estimated 5.5m British citizens who live permanently abroad – many of them in Australia, Spain, United States and Canada. The emigration of British people is nothing new, but the trend is increasing – with over 2,000 citizens moving away every week.

In addition to those who live permanently abroad, there are many other British citizens who are posted overseas for significant periods of time and many whose work means that they spend more time abroad than in the UK.

People living or working abroad need special help in dealing with a range of legal matters – not least their taxation position (domicile and residency are two important tests) and how best to structure their property and other assets. Taxation can be particularly tricky for those individuals in the entertainment/creative industries and sports sector who may have significant international income sources.

Those who are unfortunate enough to have a relationship breakdown whilst overseas and/or who are lone parents – perhaps with children in a different jurisdiction – will need legal advice that understands several legal landscapes.

At Royds Withy King, the lawyers in our private client and family team are used to both living and working overseas themselves and have helped many clients deal with a variety of legal issues both at home and abroad. We also have experts in offshore trusts and tax planning. Our membership of Interleges means that we also have people on the ground around the world.

Contact us now to find out how our private client solicitors can advise you on value added, expert legal solutions.

Get in touch

    We will only use data from this form to process your enquiry.