• Top tier firm of family lawyers
  • Free no-obligation consultation
  • We'll get back to you in one working day
  • Specialist legal representation

We can call you back, or speak to us now on 0800 923 2074

    Divorce and separation lawyers for you

    Divorce or separation is never easy at any stage of your life. You may be worried about your future, particularly how you’ll cope financially. That’s why it’s so important and helpful to consult an experienced divorce and separation lawyer.

    Royds Withy King Family Department are highly recommended in the “The Times Best Law Firms” 2019 survey

    Sometimes obtaining a divorce can be fairly straightforward, however it is important to consider the implications and how these changes can impact on you and your loved ones. By taking our advice at an early stage you can be better prepared .This can help to protect you and your family and safeguard your future interests.

    Contact us in a way that works for you

    There are two main ways to get in touch with our specialist divorce solicitors. You can call us right away using the number at the top of this page. Or if you would prefer, you can email us using the form on this page.

    When you contact us via email, we will immediately receive your enquiry.  Our team will then contact you to organise a no obligation conversation to discuss your situation. We aim to respond to your emails within one working day.

    Then our solicitors will carefully review your personal circumstances to make sure that they give you all the right advice. They might be able to help you achieve a fast and simple divorce. Or if your situation is a little more complicated, we can help to protect you and your interests during any court proceedings.

    Contact us today and start to understand your options

    You are our number one priority throughout the process. We will support you to secure a settlement that prepares the way for your future well-being.


    Frequently asked questions about divorce

    1. Is it possible to have a ‘quick divorce’?

    Divorce proceedings are set to changed, meaning that the so-called quickie divorce bill has been backed by MPs. Currently, to start divorce proceedings immediately, one spouse has to allege adultery, unreasonable behaviour or desertion has taken place.

    Under the proposed new ‘no-fault’ divorce law, individuals will only have to state that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. The law was passed by the House of Commons this week, with the legislation now needing royal assent to proceed.

    2. What happens to our finances if I take steps to separate from my partner?

    Many couples want to consider their options before proceeding with a divorce. If you do decide to separate, rather than go down the divorce route right away, often couples draw up a document to record any agreement regarding financial matters, children and plans to divorce or not, this is known as a deed of separation, or a separation agreement. We would always recommend obtaining advice before signing such document, as it is likely that it will be relied upon if a divorce takes place at a later stage. You can read more on our finances in divorce page.

    3. How can I pay for my divorce?

    There are many different funding options for a divorce. Understanding the best one for you will simply be a case of talking over your options with one of our divorce lawyers. If you wish to understand a little more about your options then you can read our funding options page here.

    4. What is a judicial separation?

    A judicial separation does not end a marriage. It is rare for couples to take this step; however, not all couples wish to end their marriage or civil partnership right away. There may be exceptional circumstances, such as religious, cultural or personal reasons that you may not wish to obtain a divorce.
    Judicial separation is a formal marital separation; therefore, marital obligations come to an end. A judicial separation has three main effects;

    • You no longer have a duty to cohabit (although realistically speaking, one spouse cannot legally compel the other to live with them)
    • The Court can make certain financial orders
    • If one party dies intestate, their property devolves as if the other party to the marriage had died. Therefore, the surviving party will not benefit. A will remains unaffected, unlike the position on divorce.

    One of our specialist solicitors can advise on your specific circumstances and the implications of a judicial separation.

    5. What do I have to show to the Court to obtain a divorce?

    You have to be able to show the court that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. This means that either one, or both of you, feels that you cannot remain married to each other. Either of you can apply to the court in England and Wales for the marriage to be dissolved, if you have been married for at least one year and that one of you has been a resident here for the year before your application is made. The application sent to the court is called a Petition. You need to prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down by one of the five following facts: adultery, unreasonable behaviour, two years separation by consent, desertion, five years separation.

    Hear from our team

    Divorcing? Act reasonably or pay your ex’s costs...

    Divorcing couples, take notice: Family Partner Joanna Toloczko examines the changing rules and the courts’ attitude to costs awards i...


    Green light for no-fault divorce

    The Government has after two years of debate and discussion given the green light to no-fault divorce. It is a move that will be welcom...


    The Bill and Melinda Divorce explained

    Bill and Melinda have announced they are to divorce after 27 years of marriage. They have confirmed that the marriage has ‘irretrieva...


    Read more on the Info Hub