Supporting Tech City businesses with a few innovative ideas of our own
Towards the end of 2010, the Prime Minister drew attention to the growing cluster of technology oriented small and medium sized businesses around the Shoreditch, Hoxton and Clerkenwell area of Inner East London which, centering on the Old Street Roundabout, became known as “Silicon Roundabout” or Tech City.
Today there are over 1,000 small and medium sized companies and nearly 50,000 digital economy jobs in Tech City spanning technology and creative sectors including information and communications technology, data analysis, design, digital marketing and advertising, social media and e-commerce, enterprise software, IT infrastructure, media creation, gaming, app development, digital creative (‘tech creative’), clean tech and sound and multimedia production (digital content). There’s a lot of international investment too.
There are various quasi-Government organisations supporting growth and development in the area including Tech City Investment Organisation (TCIO), Centre for London Think Tank, London Partners and the London Legacy Development Corporation.
Why Royds Withy King?
You’ll want to know why you should choose Royds Withy King to help your Tech City business grow:
- Experienced – Our lawyers are experienced in business and in the tech sector. We are also friendly, approachable and understand your needs in a fast-moving “always on” world.
- Straight talking – Yes, we know the law. But you want practical, commercial answers.
- Local yet global – With offices at St Paul’s, we are a stone’s throw away. But we also support international entrepreneurs, investors and businesses. We also have the relevant language skills to support negotiations in European territories – especially Scandinavia.
- Professional service with a personal touch – Small businesses need advisers that are big enough to provide all the experience and expertise necessary but not so big that client service suffers. We scale up for when the really big deals come along while recognising the importance of strong, lasting relationships and trust.
- Exceptional value – We have put together some packages (e.g. start up, growth) of legal advice at a set low monthly price. These include regular visits to your offices, meetings, constant online support and chats with experienced lawyers so you really get your money’s worth.
- Connected – During our many years in business we have built up a solid network of contacts, so whether you need a bank, a business partner, a venture capitalist, an angel, an accountant, a builder, some work space, an international partner, a white knight or even an HR consultant we can point you in the right direction. Even if it’s overseas.
- Where we can help – Whilst we specialise in a number of areas, we do have expert lawyers who can advise on just about every aspect of your commercial and personal life so you can just pass your question over and we’ll find the right person to sort it out for you.
How Royds Withy King helps Tech City companies
Royds Withy King has a dedicated team of experienced, commercially astute lawyers who have worked with small and fast growing technology companies – both in the UK and overseas – and understand the particular issues and concerns that they face.
We have responded to the requirements of these special Tech City companies with a range of services that include:
- Packages of legal services – To enable small businesses to budget for legal advice and therefore keep control of costs, whilst having round the clock access to experienced lawyers covering all aspects of business, we have packaged services for small and growing Tech City companies. A set monthly fee secures not only legal advice on the full range of commercial and legal matters but a range of standard legal documents and an option to have a senior lawyer present at key meetings at your offices each month.
- In-house counsel services – You can use Royds Withy King the same way as if you were using your own in-house legal team – just outsource all your legal requirements to us. We allocate a senior and experienced commercial partner and through this person you can channel all your legal questions and issues – big or small. It saves you time and money and provides real peace of mind.
- Drop in service – Royds Withy King is just two minutes’ walk from St Paul’s tube station, conveniently close to Tech City but within the heart of the City and all that it has to offer in terms of financial and corporate services. This makes it an ideal drop-in space where you can have a coffee and chat with a lawyer or arrange to host meetings with your City contacts in our tech-enabled modern basement suite.
Areas of legal advice
We know that you have a lot on your plate – getting ideas established, setting up and growing your business, finding the right people and entering the international arena. The last thing that you want to do is worry about legal issues – whether commercial or compliance oriented.
Royds Withy King has expert lawyers covering all aspects of law – with experience of working with young Tech businesses. For example:
Corporate – Issues relating to the structure of your company and perhaps concerned with international operations and/or loans and the raising of finance and director and shareholder agreements. Our lawyers have worked with small and large companies in the technology sector and understand the need to balance short term requirements with longer term aims.
Commercial – Negotiating contracts with customers and suppliers and joint venture partners and ensuring that all of your terms of business – whether traditional or for on-line e-commerce – are in order. We also have specialist expertise in marketing and advertising law.
Employment – Hiring senior and junior employees and using consultants and contractors with the help of our employment lawyers who have experience of just about every type of employment situation and can ensure that you are protected and have the right sort of workforce.
Property – Leasing or buying property and negotiations with landlords and planning authorities are much easier when you have an experienced property lawyer on your side. Our property lawyers can assist with everything from taking short term office space, through negotiating changes to your lease to even commissioning your own buildings or dealing with your own tenants.
Intellectual property – Protecting your ideas and innovations whether they are designs, copyright, trademarks or patents and managing the licensing of such rights our IP lawyers will help you with agreements, registrations and challenges to those who attempt to abuse your rights.
Dispute resolution – Inevitably, there will be time when disputes arise with shareholders, employees, joint venture partners, suppliers, trading partners, landlords, customers and authorities. When this is the case our specialist dispute resolution lawyers will find a swift and decisive remedy that minimises the cost and management time and preserves business relationships.
Personal legal advice – Tech City business owners and workers will have a host of legal issues in their personal lives too – whether this concerns their homes and residential properties, the creation of cohabitation or pre-nuptial agreements, the creation of trusts for charitable purposes or to protect family wealth. Our private client lawyers and family lawyers understand the needs of business people who must balance commercial and personal matters.