Working on an International Scale
Our team of culturally diverse and multilingual lawyers have an in-depth knowledge of the UK business environment and are conveniently placed in the heart of City of London and around the UK.
We deliver a range of legal services to businesses under umbrellas of corporate law, employment, commercial property and dispute resolution and serve clients in global sectors as diverse as financial institutions and international banks, retail, leisure and hospitality, technology and innovation, health and social care, real estate and charities and not-for-profit organisations.
Our international work for individuals includes advising on offshore and personal tax planning, private law, family law, custody issues, travel and foreign personal injury claims.
Our corporate team is particularly active working with clients in the Nordic countries, our dispute resolution team in Asia, and the firm also acts as Privy Council agents for the government of Mauritius.
Select a focus area, or browse our international services below:
We are proud to be founding and active members of Interleges, a leading international association of law firms. This enables our firm to provide legal services across global frontiers and ensure our clients are supported in key jurisdictions. Through Interleges, both business organisations and individuals have access to specialist lawyers who have experience in representing clients from different countries.
Inward trade and investment – entering the UK market
Finding the right lawyer in a foreign country can be difficult and can take time. At Royds Withy King, we aim to take the stress out of the process.
Whatever your business needs, we will work with you to come up with creative and cost effective solutions to help you achieve the outcome you want.
We deliver a comprehensive range of legal services to businesses entering the UK market under the umbrellas of corporate and commercial law, employment, commercial property and dispute resolution. Whether you are looking to set up a direct presence in the UK, use third parties or form a joint venture company, our specialist lawyers have the expert local knowledge you need.
Our teams have an in-depth knowledge of the UK’s business and legal environment.
As ‘lawyers ahead of the curve’, we put client relationships at the heart of our business. This means you won’t just know where you stand, but where you are going next and when you are likely to get there.
- Acted for a Swedish listed global provider of domestic energy solutions in its acquisition of the main parts of a UK headquartered target group with operations in six European countries. We drafted the overarching English law share purchase agreement and ancillary documents, dealt with English due diligence and assisted in project managing the transaction with the other overseas law firms.
- We also advised the same Swedish listed global provider of domestic energy solutions on its acquisition of a UK target group with over 20 subsidiaries in Europe and Australasia.
- Acted for global pharmaceutical procurement specialist business with bases in Canada, the USA, Singapore and Ireland on its acquisition of a majority shareholding in a UK pharmacy business. The team advised on the full documentation for the share purchase, including SPA, shareholders agreement and articles of association along with restructuring.
- Acted for a leading German toy and game company which led an USD 8.5million round of investment into award-winning UK-based publishing start-up.
Outbound trade and investment
Our lawyers provide strategic advice to UK-based organisations that are planning to grow their businesses and move into new international markets.
Whether establishing a subsidiary or branch, exporting to new markets or appointing an agent or distributor, our specialist lawyers will help to smooth the challenges and navigate risks working in close co-operation with the local Interleges member or a firm in our wider network.
- Advised in the disposal of 55% of the share capital of a children’s toy distribution business in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland. The acquisition was a substantial interest for the buyer as it will enable the Buyer to extend its European reach, potentially enable frictionless access to EU markets post-Brexit.
Dispute resolution and arbitration
International organisations with disputes in overseas markets and businesses and individuals with overseas operations and assets will need lawyers who are experienced in managing cross-border disputes and all that this can entail.
- Represented the Bank of India in connection with an invoice discounting facility granted by it to a Dubai company, Firestar Holdings, focusing on issues of cross-border service methods and laws.
- Acted for Cimentos Europa SA in a dispute regarding cement and its delivery by ship. Dealing with all marine aspects of the case, including disputes regarding discharge of the cargo, the duties and responsibilities of parties in relation to the safe berthing of the vessel, and the interpretation of contractual terms in relation to later delivery.
- Advised Danish shipping company DFDS A/S in condemnation proceedings brought against it by UK Border Force after a shipment was seized for discrepancy in quantity.
- Represented a family office on the potential £38m reconstruction of property company jointly owned by another family which is currently in deadlock and involved in protracted litigation in both the US and Cayman Islands involving complex trust, corporate and tax issues over a number of different jurisdictions with the United States Inland Revenue Service an interest party.
International banking and finance
International banks and financial services institutions with operations in overseas markets and dealings with foreign businesses will need lawyers who are experienced in managing national and cross-border transactions, disputes.
- We have insolvency expertise and often act for insolvency practitioners and banks giving both contentious and restructuring advice. Recent examples include acting for the liquidators of a 150+ chain of retail stores and advising an Indian bank on the restructuring of their finance with a chemical products distributor with a turnover of over £70m.
- Stand-by letter of credit facilities by two lenders as part of a US$130m secured project arrangement by the IFC to finance acquisition of liquid petroleum gas interests.
- Acted for various banks in relation to financing the acquisition of hotels and multi-use property sites including Holiday Inn hotels and other property development sites with development and acquisition values up to £50million.
- Advising ODDO BHF (Switzerland) Ltd, a Swiss Private Bank on the enforceability of their terms and conditions with regard to loans to international clients who are resident but not domiciled UK who pledges their assets such as stocks, bonds, fixed income and floating rate securities etc. with the Bank based on a pledge/loan agreement ruled by Swiss law.
- Advised on a privately held off-shore group on the refinancing by of its UK commercial property portfolio, worth £51 million.
Our employment team specialises in working closely with business owners and HR professionals in all areas of employment law. Your clients might be looking to understand UK employment policies and practices or navigate the UK’s fast changing immigration laws and processes as they look to live, work or start up a business in the UK. Whatever their situation, our specialist employment and business immigration lawyers will help smooth the challenges so clients are not left open to future risk.
- Successfully defended medical communications company from unfounded race discrimination allegations and then acted for the UK owners on its multi-million sale to a USA company
- Conducted a whistleblowing investigation for FTSE 100 company alongside USA professional advisors
- Successfully defending a high profile UK entity against allegations of disability discrimination from a former director
- Successful multi million pound breach of contract, breach of duty and professional negligence claim from failed overseas property company (AIG Europe Ltd v OC320301 LLP  EWCA Civ 367)
Offshore and personal tax-planning for ex-pats and non-UK nationals
The UK is a popular place to do business, own property, live and raise a family. It continues to attract people from around the world.
If you are looking to relocate to the UK or if you are already resident here, the ever increasing complexity of UK tax laws can be overwhelming. We have a team of specialist solicitors who can guide you through these rules in a practical and accessible way.
Back to top
International private and family law
Our family and private client teams have much experience in tracing of, and resolving issues involving international residents and assets; as well as dealing with the lawyers in foreign jurisdictions.
We are highly experienced in advising clients on foreign elements in family matters. Our lawyers have worked closely with firms in over 20 jurisdictions to ensure that their clients achieved the best outcome. We have excellent links with foreign members of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL) to ensure that you have access to the best advice.
- Drafting worldwide Wills for clients with property in the UK, France and Spain, incorporating elections under the EU Succession Regulations to ensure assets pass in accordance with the law of the clients’ nationalities.
- Reviewing an offshore trust structure holding UK residential property, advising on the UK tax liabilities arising in light of recent legislative changes and facilitating the unwinding of the structure.
- Advising a client with a major interest in a US company in relation to the ‘requirement to correct’ legislation and ensuring accurate reporting to HMRC.
- Preparing a Lasting Power of Attorney for financial decisions for a client, advising on its enforceability in Guernsey and liaising with Guernsey Counsel in relation to an application to the Royal Courts of Guernsey to secure recognition of the LPA.
- Drafting UK Wills for Singaporean clients with residential property interests in the UK.
- Considering a proposal to vary two ‘excluded property’ US grantor trusts and advising on the potential UK inheritance tax implications of the variation.
Travel and foreign claims encompasses a wide variety of accident and personal injury claims. Our specialist travel and foreign claims team can help you to understand what you are entitled to claim in compensation where the accident happens as a result of someone else’s negligence. Get in touch with our specialist solicitors to find out whether you can make a claim for an accident that took place overseas. It is possible to claim for accidents that occurred both within Europe, and internationally; across the United States, Asia, South America, the Middle East and Australia.
- Overseas Road Traffic claims – Acted for pedestrians, cyclists and passengers involved in serious road traffic accidents across Europe.
- Package Holiday claims – Acted for individuals injured whilst staying at a hotel abroad and have good connections with overseas lawyers, experts and translators to help guide clients through the process of bringing a compensation claim.
- Airline and Cruise ship claims – Acted for clients who have suffered injuries whilst on-board an aircraft or at an airport, as well as clients injured at sea, on-board a cruise ship or passenger ferry.