Our costs for applications for visas and visa extensions under the points based system
When applying for a visa or a visa extension there are many parts of the application that may feel like they are full of uncertainty. But we do not believe that your legal fees should be one of them.
No one likes surprises about their legal fees so that it why we set out clearly the costs for applying for a Tier 2 visa, or a visa extension, at the outset. We also list the services included in our fee and will advise you of any further charges for additional work.
How much does it cost?
The total cost in your case depends on factors including your personal situation and history, and the type of job you are being sponsored to fill in the UK. Complications may arise where you have been previously refused a visa, have criminal convictions, or where you do not have sufficient funds to meet the eligibility criteria.
Lengthier applications take more hours to complete, and more complex matters require greater levels of expertise and seniority, which comes with a greater expense.
It is estimated that the total cost can range between:
- £1,250 and £1,800
- our hourly rates are between £250 to £350 depending on the seniority of the lawyer working on your application.
The number of hours spent on your case depends on factors including:
- Your circumstances and job offer/ current job in the UK;
- Whether your Tier 2 application has been turned down in the past, or where your leave has been curtailed previously
- The amount of supporting evidence that we need to consider;
- Which language(s) you speak;
- Whether you wish to apply with your spouse/partner and/or dependants. There will be a separate charge in respect of dependant visas.
What can I do to keep my costs down?
If you are able to provide clear instructions and sufficient evidence at our first meeting to clearly meet the applicable immigration rules, the cost is likely to be at the lower end of the range.
Who will be carrying out my application?
Helen Murphie leads the Business Immigration Team. If you choose to instruct Royds Withy King it is highly likely that one of the following people will either head up or closely supervise your application process.
Helen Murphie, Partner
As partner in our London office Helen can advise on applications under the Points Based System as well as assisting in applications for an indefinite leave to remain.View profile
Kate Benefer, Partner
Kate is a partner in Oxford. She has extensive experience across a wide range of legal matters and advises businesses and individuals on business immigration.View profile
Olivia Coles, Associate
Olivia is an associate in our Employment & HR team and has a wide range of experience across employment law matters.View profile
What services are included?
The work will involve:
- One meeting with you to discuss your circumstances and to provide you with advice on the best option in your situation. Also advising you of other routes to lawfully live and work in the UK which may be available to you. This meeting generally lasts between 1 and 2 hours.
- Advising you on the requirements of the Immigration Rules and whether you meet the criteria.
- if you do not fulfil certain criteria, whether this could be overcome.
- considering the supporting evidence you have provided which can be the most time consuming part of the application exercise. It usually takes between 1.5 and 3 hours to complete a review.*
- where applicable, assisting you to obtain further evidence (such as medical records and bank statements). However you will be liable for any disbursements payable to third parties in respect of such further evidence.
- preparing your application which you will usually submit yourself. We anticipate completion of the application form will take between 1 to 2 hours;
- giving you advice about the outcome of the application and any further steps you need to take.
*the amount of hours depends on the number of documents, whether they need to be translated, whether originals are required or any are missing and how long it will take to obtain missing documents.
What services are not included in the price range given?
- Independent expert reports e.g. medical experts. These are not required in many cases: we will let you know as soon as possible if we consider an expert report is necessary.
- Any Home Office fees for making the application. You will pay the application fee to the Home Office directly as part of the application process.
- If there is an interview and we attend with you, there will be additional disbursements in respect of our mileage/travel expenses.
- Where the Home Office refuses your application, advice and assistance in relation to any further application, review, or appeal
How long will my application take?
We cannot guarantee how long the Home Office will take to process your application. Read the current processing times.
We will normally be able to help you submit this type of application within 2 weeks of you instructing us but this is subject to you being able to provide us with clear instructions and information, and supporting documentation, in that period. We will let you know at the earliest opportunity if it is likely to take longer than this.
Please note the anticipated number of hours spent on a task, and the range of fees are an estimate based on the facts above. All applications are likely to vary and of course, we can give you a more accurate estimate once we have more information about your specific case.