Specialist lawyers in marine litigation and arbitration
“In an ever-changing environment, we can help you protect your commercial and legal interests to stay ahead.”
Our specialist marine dispute resolution solicitors have an in-depth understanding of marine law and the key issues affecting the sector. Whether through negotiation, mediation or court action, our practical and proactive advice will help achieve a solution that’s right for you. First time round.
Experts in marine law for every situation
We regularly act for owners, charterers, ship managers and crew members, boat yards and builders, banks and other lenders, multinational companies and co-operatives, as well as governments. Our expertise covers the full range of shipping related matters, including:
- Advising owners on charterparty disputes, demurrage claims, crew disputes, shareholder disputes, collision claims, port and harbour disputes and cargo disputes.
- Advising lenders on their rights under mortgage documents in relation to security enforcement.
- Representing salvors in their claims for reward under LOF and other salvage agreements.
- Advising on international arbitrations, including LMAA arbitrations, ICC arbitrations, and arbitrations under the Arbitration Act.
- Advising on all insurance issues, from coverage disputes to quantum arguments.
Funding your claim
We understand that the cost of marine litigation can be a cause for concern. Our experienced dispute resolution solicitors will help you choose the funding arrangement that works for you.
- Bespoke insurance policy
If you’re an owner, manager or charterer, you could access our funding facility to further strengthen your commercial claim. It covers own side disbursements, court and arbitration fees, as well as your opponents’ legal costs if your claim is lost. Where the policy is not accepted as security, a Deed of Indemnity may be available. This means that you won’t need to use your own funds and assets in financing a claim.The facility has been developed in partnership with QLP, a leading provider of after the event (ATE) Insurance for marine litigation, and is underwritten by AmTrust Europe Limited, part of the ‘A’ rated AmTrust Group.
- Third party funding
We are able to arrange third party funding in relation to expert reports, counsel’s fees and Court of Arbitration costs.
Find out more about funding your legal costs.
- Representing IFFCO (Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative) in a charter party dispute involving the delivery of fertilisers to India. Successfully establishing that the vessel was not fit to carry out the voyage and receiving appropriate compensation.
- Acting for Cimentos Europa SA in a dispute regarding cement and its delivery by ship. Dealing with all marine aspects of the case, including disputes regarding discharge of the cargo, the duties and responsibilities of parties in relation to the safe berthing of the vessel, and the interpretation of contractual terms in relation to later delivery.
- Acting for a bank who had secured advances by a mortgage on a vessel, including investigating the whereabouts of the vessel. Advising the bank on its options in relation to the mortgage secured over the vessel, including the practical effects of enforcement.
- Advising ship owners in a dispute with their insurers in relation to coverage after the vessel’s machinery became damaged due to her screws leaving the water during a heavy weather passage.