In-depth legal knowledge for a challenging sector
At Royds Withy King, we have been working with some of the biggest and fastest growing retailers in the UK for more than three decades so we have a detailed understanding of the challenges and needs of retailers – both when market conditions are good, and, like now, when they are tougher. We have worked in most retail sectors – such as fashion, food and general merchandise.
Our in-depth knowledge of the sector, and our links with many other professional advisers, means that we ideally placed to help both large and small retailers with a fast, high quality and personal service at a sensible price that won’t impact already tight margins.
Whether you need help with acquiring a shop or a portfolio, managing your property portfolio on a day to day basis, or pragmatic employment advice, the Royds Withy King retail team understands the current issues concerning retailers and aims to deliver advice and service in a way that is sensitive to them.
Current retail industry issues
- The credit crunch and the recession and its impact on consumer confidence and pressure for low prices creating harsh trading conditions and falling profitability for retailers
- Rocketing fuel costs causing increased distribution costs, and supply shortages in some areas
- Larger and more aggressive – often international – competitors with greater resources for high profile advertising campaigns to attract footfall
- New international retailers with significant brands and consumer exposure entering already oversupplied categories
- The continuing impact of internet and mobile shopping on high street and out of town development performance, and the concerns about how this channel will continue to erode retail sales
- Supply chain and stock management issues, demanding greater security and investment in tracking software and systems
- Legislation and regulations affecting general management and impacting specific sectors such as those with licensed premises, selling alcohol, on site leisure facilities and further impacting employment, health and safety practices and disability access issues
- Consumer interest in the source of internationally sourced goods with a need to invest time in corporate social responsibility policies and practices
- Changing consumer and demographic trends requiring new business models and creating unique staffing shortages and increased recruitment and training costs
- Prime rents in busy locations increasing competition for the best outlets
- Increases in direct and indirect taxes including environmental, property and share scheme taxation.
In the majority of these areas there is a need for fast, pragmatic and commercially astute legal advice from lawyers who understand the dynamics and practices of the retail sector. And you need the reassurance that your work will be dealt with by partners who devote their time and attention to your business. Royds Withy King provides the following services to retailers:
Property expertise for retailers
Our commercial property team at Royds Withy King serves a host of commercial, real estate and retail clients. Retailers – from well known high street chains to small independents – form the core of the firm’s property and commercial practices and have done so for over 30 years.
A number of the firm’s charity clients with high street networks make use of the retail property expertise and increasingly overseas retailers looking to enter the UK market are seeking Royds Withy King’s advice. We have clients in various retail sectors including fashion, cafes/restaurants, stationery, soft furnishings and toys.
Retail property transactions and day to day operations
- Lease acquisition and disposal
- Site acquisition, construction and disposal
- Property development
- Property re-organisations and rationalisation
- Property management and advice
- Disposals and acquisitions of retail companies and divisions
- Rent Reviews
- Licensing – Liquor
- Town and Country Planning
- Real estate risk management
- Disputes on rights of way, easements and boundary disputes
- Landlord and tenant including including forfeiture, lease renewals, rent reviews and insolvency
- Professional negligence – surveyors, architects and other professional advisers
- Contentious planning and environmental disputes
- Rating disputes: including representation before the Lands Tribunal
- Parking, noise, access and delivery disputes
We also advise clients in the area of professional negligence where their agents or valuers have provided inadequate advice. On one occasion, we managed to recover over £10m for one of our clients.
- Procurement strategy and risk management
- Drafting and negotiation of construction contracts, consultant appointments and facilities management agreements
- Design liability
- Insurance arrangements
- Contractors’ claims
- Effective dispute resolution
- Project management
Commercial legal advice for retailers
- Agency and Distribution Contracts
- Franchise Agreements
- Banking and Loan Documentation
- Long and Short Term Supply Agreements
- Outsourcing Agreements
- Warehousing and Fulfilment Contracts
- IT Hardware and Software Agreements
Licensing, franchising and brands – intellectual property
- Trade Marks
- Design and Patent Law
- Information Technology matters
Commercial litigation and dispute resolution