Legal advice for social care providers
Our specialist social care lawyers have an in-depth understanding of the key issues affecting the sector. Our aim is to become part of your trusted team. We take the time to understand your business and we are always on hand to provide expert, practical and cost-effective advice when you need it.
Our range of legal and regulatory services for care providers
The changing legal and regulatory landscape in which care providers operate means owners and managers face a constant challenge to keep up, ensure compliance and maintain profitability.
We have vast experience advising on a complete range of legal and regulatory issues, acting for all types of care organisations, including, nursing and residential homes, retirement villages, housing associations and domiciliary care and supported living providers.
Leaders in our field, featured in the national press
The sleep-in pay crisis is been, and still is an ongoing concern for care providers around the UK. Here at Royds Withy King we are considered to be an authority on the subject and have advised many care home providers on the best, and most commercially viable course of action to take. James Sage, who heads up the team has been featured in a number of national publications including The Guardian.
You can read our free guide on the sleep in pay crisis below.
Our experience of advising social care providers includes:
- Challenging a CQC inspection report and increasing two inadequate ratings to requires improvement, preventing the provider from going into special measures.
- Assisting a provider to persuade CQC to increase its rating from good to outstanding in two services.
- Persuading CQC not to use the urgent procedure to suspend or impose conditions on providers’ registrations.
- Making representations on a Notice of Proposal to refuse registration for a manager and succeeding in getting the manager registered.
- Making representations on a Notice of Proposal to cancel the registration of a home care service and helping the provider retain its registration.
- Making representations on a Notice of Proposal to cancel the registration of a nursing home and helping the provider retain its registration.
- Providing training to directors and managers on CQC’s regulatory requirements.
- Representing a care provider in the First Tier Tribunal, full-service safeguarding review and coordinating with their criminal solicitors in relation to a criminal investigation.
- Advising social care providers in relation to inquest proceedings and any anticipated claims thereafter.
- Advising a care provider charity on a whistleblowing; safeguarding and disciplinary matter.
- Successfully challenging a CQC inspection report and increasing the overall rating from Requires Improvement to Good.
- Advising and representing a group of providers in contract and fee negotiations with a local authority
- Advising a specialist care provider involved in a safeguarding investigation
- Acting for a national care home provider on purchase of over 30 care and nursing home businesses.
- Advising national and regional retirement village operators on site acquisition, construction procurement, unit sales and portfolio management issues.
- Acting for three GP Practices taking leases at a major Health Centre in North London from an NHS Trust
- Acting for two GP Practices taking underleases at a recently constructed “NHS LIFT” development in South London.
- Acting for a GP Co-operative in East London in relation to a lease it was taking in a hospital to deliver an “out of hours” service which it had contracted with the relevant Clinical Commissioning Group to provide.
- Share sale of a pharmacy in Devon for c.£1.5m to new entrant including negotiation of new lease to the buyer.
- Purchase for multi-chain operator of pharmacy in Gloucestershire for c. £2m including negotiation of management agreement.
- Acting for a company on the acquisition of a freehold property (and the bank which was advancing funds) for the purpose of setting up a new dental practice
- Acting for a dental technician acquiring a long leasehold premises (and the bank which was advancing funds) for the purpose of setting up a new denture clinic