Legal advice for the Health and Social Care sector
The health and social care sector has never been more competitive and heavily regulated. Owners and managers are under huge pressure to keep up, whilst anybody looking to enter the market may be overwhelmed by the numerous pitfalls and challenges involved.
At Royds Withy King we specialise in providing expert, cost-effective advice to care providers and care home operators.
Our aim is to become part of your trusted team, on hand to provide expert and practical advice when you need it.
We offer legal services for:
We are here to help
Your staff are key to the success of your care social care business. Effective recruitment and management of care staff will help ensure you have an engaged and high performing workforce with the right values and enable you to meet CQC’s regulatory requirements.
But as any business owner will know, sometimes it is great to get a bit of help, which is where our HR, Employment, Legal, and Protection services are here for you.
Leaders in their field
James Sage, Partner
As co-head of the social care team, James has proven experience advising care providers on issues for which his work has been recognised by the Legal 500 as 'excellent'.View profile
Hazel Phillips, Partner
Hazel is a specialist healthcare lawyer whose clients include care organisations, pharmacies, GPs, dentists, day nurseries and healthcare banks.View profile
Legal advice for all levels of the Health & Social care sector
Our advice and services are tailored to suit the specific needs of our clients and cover a very wide range of issues. We advise clients in the social care sector on buying, selling and developing care businesses; employment law and HR issues; CQC registration and enforcement; fees and funding; safeguarding and inquests.
Our multi-disciplinary team also has the expertise to help you deal with emerging issues affecting your business such as preparing for Brexit and the impact of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
What separates us from the competition?
Great service should go without saying. So to get you and your business ahead of the curve, we will make sure that you have access to a deep network of highly specialist and lawyers. Not only will you have access to this resource, but you will also get a commitment, a commitment to go the extra mile for you and what is in your interests. You will not have to ask us to do this for you, we will simply do it.
Because for us, it’s all about building long-lasting client relationships. We work to manage the regulation and market forces for you, so you can be sure that we will be adding value to your business venture.
We build a team around you and provide commercial and cost effective solutions. The specialist advice provided by our Health & Social Care Team includes:
- Corporate law expertise for GP practices, dental practices and social care providers
In today’s demanding environment, you need solid commercial arrangements in place to run your business efficiently and minimise risks. Please refer to our pages for GP practices, dental practices, pharmacies and social care providers for further details.
- Property development, construction and finance
As a healthcare business, you need your premises to meet your requirements as well as the stringent industry standards. Please refer to our pages for GP practices, dental practices, pharmacies and social care providers to see how we can help.
You need sensible and practical employment policies and practices in place to fit your business and minimise future risks. Even if matters get difficult, we can guide you through your employment law and regulatory obligations.
- Regulatory compliance
We have substantial experience supporting healthcare businesses with registration, regulatory compliance and challenging enforcement action. Please refer to our pages for GP practices, dental practices, pharmacies and social care providers to see how we can help.
- Dispute resolution and mediation
Unfortunately, in the complicated world of business few practices will be able to run without disputes occurring. Our dispute resolution team is experienced in helping healthcare practices resolve issues and are advocates of successful mediation to help our clients find a satisfactory solution. Find out more about dispute resolution and mediation.
As a healthcare provider, you may become involved in inquest proceedings, where a coroner is investigating the circumstances of a death. We can provide expert advice on all matters relating to the Coroners’ jurisdiction and inquests to guide you through the process.
- Advising a care provider charity on a whistleblowing; safeguarding and disciplinary matter.
- Successfully challenging a CQC inspection report and increasing the overall rating from Requires Improvement to Good.
- Advising and representing a group of providers in contract and fee negotiations with a local authority
- Advising a specialist care provider involved in a safeguarding investigation
- Acting for a national care home provider on purchase of over 30 care and nursing home businesses.
- Advising national and regional retirement village operators on site acquisition, construction procurement, unit sales and portfolio management issues.
- Acting for three GP Practices taking leases at a major Health Centre in North London from an NHS Trust
- Acting for two GP Practices taking underleases at a recently constructed “NHS LIFT” development in South London.
- Acting for a GP Co-operative in East London in relation to a lease it was taking in a hospital to deliver an “out of hours” service which it had contracted with the relevant Clinical Commissioning Group to provide.
- Share sale of a pharmacy in Devon for c.£1.5m to new entrant including negotiation of new lease to the buyer.
- Purchase for multi-chain operator of pharmacy in Gloucestershire for c. £2m including negotiation of management agreement.
- Acting for a company on the acquisition of a freehold property (and the bank which was advancing funds) for the purpose of setting up a new dental practice
- Acting for a dental technician acquiring a long leasehold premises (and the bank which was advancing funds) for the purpose of setting up a new denture clinic
“Royds Withy King specialises in providng advice to care homes and social care providers on CQC interactions, healthcare-related HR and employment advice, safeguarding, contracts, judicial review proceedings, inquests and mental capacity. It also provides advice to dental practices, pharmacies and GP practices. James Sage heads the team and specialises in employment law matters including dismissals, grievances and whistleblowing. Hazel Phillips jointly heads the health and social care team and focuses on acquisitions, contracts, business structure, governance and refinancing. Mei-Ling Huang Joined from Burroughs day, she is ‘extremely knowledgeable about her area and gives no-nonsense advice’. The team provides an ‘excellent overall service’ and is ‘very responsive’. Recent highlights include acting for Gold Care homes on the sale and leaseback of and 18 home care group to a US real estate investment trust.” Legal 500 2018 South West