Specialist legal support for your health and social care business
Our Health & Social Care Team has a wealth of experience advising social care providers, GP practices, pharmacies and dentists, and substantial expertise in the legal and regulatory issues affecting your business.
A team that has experience and expertise across legal disciplines
We build a team around you and provide pragmatic, commercial and cost effective legal solutions. The specialist advice provided by our Health & Social Care Team includes:
- Corporate law expertise for GP practices, dental practices and social care providers
In today’s demanding environment, you need solid commercial arrangements in place to run your business efficiently and minimise risks. Whether it’s about buying or selling, structuring your business, drafting partnership, investment and shareholder agreements or negotiating your supplier contracts, we can help. Please refer to our pages for GP practices, dental practices, pharmacies and social care providers for further details.
- Property development, construction and finance
As a healthcare business, you need your premises to meet your requirements as well as the stringent industry standards. When your practice expands, you will need commercial property and construction advice allowing you to acquire and develop your premises with minimum fuss and disruption to your business. Please refer to our pages for GP practices, dental practices, pharmacies and social care providers to see how we can help.
You need sensible and practical employment policies and practices in place to fit your business and minimise future risks. A Royds Withy King employment solicitor can help you achieve this difficult balance, avoiding costly mistakes. Even if matters get difficult, we can guide you through your employment law and regulatory obligations.
- Regulatory compliance
We have substantial experience supporting healthcare businesses with registration, regulatory compliance and challenging enforcement action. Please refer to our pages for GP practices, dental practices, pharmacies and social care providers to see how we can help.
- Dispute resolution and mediation
Unfortunately, in the complicated world of business few practices will be able to run without disputes occurring: whether this is with employees, suppliers, contractors or clients. Our dispute resolution team is experienced in helping healthcare practices resolve issues and are advocates of successful mediation to help our clients find a satisfactory solution. Find out more about dispute resolution and mediation.
As a healthcare provider you may become involved in inquest proceedings, where a coroner is investigating the circumstances of a death. We can provide expert advice on all matters relating to the Coroners’ jurisdiction and inquests to guide you through the process.
Our promise to you is to keep our advice direct and pragmatic, and offer you a range of pricing options so that you can budget your legal costs with no surprises.
- Advising a care provider charity on a whistleblowing; safeguarding and disciplinary matter.
- Successfully challenging a CQC inspection report and increasing the overall rating from Requires Improvement to Good.
- Advising and representing a group of providers in contract and fee negotiations with a local authority
- Advising a specialist care provider involved in a safeguarding investigation
- Acting for a national care home provider on purchase of over 30 care and nursing home businesses.
- Advising national and regional retirement village operators on site acquisition, construction procurement, unit sales and portfolio management issues.
- Acting for three GP Practices taking leases at a major Health Centre in North London from an NHS Trust
- Acting for two GP Practices taking underleases at a recently constructed “NHS LIFT” development in South London.
- Acting for a GP Co-operative in East London in relation to a lease it was taking in a hospital to deliver an “out of hours” service which it had contracted with the relevant Clinical Commissioning Group to provide.
- Share sale of a pharmacy in Devon for c.£1.5m to new entrant including negotiation of new lease to the buyer.
- Purchase for multi-chain operator of pharmacy in Gloucestershire for c. £2m including negotiation of management agreement.
- Acting for a company on the acquisition of a freehold property (and the bank which was advancing funds) for the purpose of setting up a new dental practice
- Acting for a dental technician acquiring a long leasehold premises (and the bank which was advancing funds) for the purpose of setting up a new denture clinic