Vanessa has specialised in family law throughout her career. She joined the Family team at Royds Withy King from Gateley Legal, where she was a Legal Director.
Vanessa is experienced in all aspects of family and matrimonial law including:
She has been a trained collaborative lawyer since 2010 and understands the benefits for the family as a whole of practising in a conciliatory manner, with both lawyers and clients working on a face-to-face basis, with integrity and willingness to achieve bespoke settlements and arrangements.
- Co-worked on a pre-nuptial agreement with combined assets including two businesses, capital and investments exceeding £2 billion.
- Dealt with variation of spousal maintenance orders, seeking capitalisation orders, remittance of arrears, exclusion of bonuses and obtaining dismissal of a variation application by a husband seeking to withdraw financial support.
- Dealt with divorce and financial matters with intervener involvement, and obtained injunctive relief through s37 applications to protect capital assets against dissipation and reversal of transactions, also material non-disclosure and other conduct issues.
- Experience with private FDRs and contributing to agricultural case culminating in a five-day arbitration tribunal in divorce and financial proceedings.
- Represented clients within complicated child arrangements cases including where s8 Children Act proceedings of two mothers relating to half siblings were joined and coercive and emotional abuse findings were sought through identifying a pattern of behaviour through multiple relationships over a sustained period of time. Also, proceedings where allegations have been made of sexual abuse, parental alienation and applications for leave to remove a child from the jurisdiction and internal relocation of a child within England and Wales.
- Thames Valley Collaborative Family Lawyers POD
- Thames Valley Family Lawyers Society
Outside of work
Vanessa loves eating out and sunny climates as well as leisurely tennis, workouts in the gym, and horse racing.
It is a privilege to work with clients who put their trust in you to take them primarily from a place of unhappiness, confusion, vulnerability or fear and navigate them through difficult legal processes to a financially and emotionally independent future. I focus on the afters and preparing for what comes next for each client, rather than reacting to their past. I love what I do, and while procedures can be the same, clients and their personal circumstances are always different, and you have the opportunity to see life through many lenses and meet many fascinating individuals and families.