Prior to joining Royds Withy King in summer 2020, Tom worked in the Commercial Dispute Resolution team of DAC Beachcroft in Bristol for over 10 years. He regularly advises on commercial disputes across all sectors, including financial services, professional services, IT, TMT, natural resources, energy and manufacturing.
Tom’s typical instructions relate to outsourced services, IT contracts (such as platform development agreements), distribution agreements, warranty claims, shareholder disputes and misselling claims.
However, Tom has a particular specialism in injunctions, regularly obtaining search and seizure orders, recovering and preventing the misuse of confidential information, enforcing restrictive covenants, and acting on data breach claims.
Tom also advises clients on regulatory matters, in particular where arising out of data breach claims, and on the steps that can be taken to prevent confidentiality / data breaches in the first instance.
In addition, whilst Tom typically acts on complex litigation, his team regularly assist with lower value disputes. Tom has set up and run multiple managed service arrangements to provide a cost efficient solutions for in-house legal teams seeking to manage such disputes.
Tom’s notable cases include:
- acting on a high profile breach of confidence claim for a leading insurance broker, seeking injunctive relief and damages. This case was reported and set a precedent for the interim deletion of misappropriated confidential information. (Arthur J. Gallagher Service UK ltd v Skriptchenkov and others  EWHC 603)
- obtaining a freezing order following the misappropriation of over £1m by a senior claims manager for a financial services firm, and then successfully recovering the majority of the funds taken
- acting on a high value dispute between two gas exploration companies concerning the breach of a joint venture gas exploration agreement for offshore Ghana
- acting on a dispute between an international health provider and a broker in relation to the repudiatory breach of an exclusive distribution agreement
- acting on a dispute between a major pensions services provider and an IT developer in relation to the termination (for material breach) of an agreement to build a new pension administration platform
- advising a major pensions services provider on liability under legacy service agreements and the application of US sanctions on affected clients
- acting for an international insurance broker in a dispute as to the correct calculation of deferred consideration under an SPA following an acquisition
- acting for a private equity fund in relation to a warranty claim following the purchase of a telecare services provider
- acting for an international medical insurer in respect of various disputes with suppliers, including medical services suppliers and outsourced services suppliers (in particular the supplier of business critical IT services)
- acting for an international franchise based in Canada bringing a claim against one of its former UK franchisees regarding breach of contract, breach of confidence, copyright infringement, passing off and trademark infringement
- defending various high-profile misselling claims against financial advice firms in relation to tax avoidance schemes, tax deferral schemes, and overseas property schemes.
Tom spends most of his free time with his young family, but enjoys playing football and golf when the time allows. He is also an avid Welsh rugby fan and a Bristol Bears season ticket holder.