Rod joined our Private Client team in spring 2020 from Stone King LLP where he had been a partner in the London office for seven years.
He specialises in advising on the creation, running, restructuring and transfer of domestic and cross-border estates and trusts as well as on Court of Protection and regulatory matters.
At the forefront of Rod’s advice are opportunities to save tax. He is also experienced in working through tax disclosure facilities and challenging decisions made by HMRC, particularly on issues of domicile. Whatever the issue, Rod provides his clients with advice that is easy to understand, no-nonsense and practical.
Rod has enjoyed notable successes advising executors, trustees and beneficiaries of estates and trusts who have become dissatisfied with their previous advisers. This includes challenging professional fees.
Rod’s experience includes:
- securing the maximum possible award through the Legal Ombudsman for a beneficiary of an estate where the solicitors failed to give clear information on anticipated fees
- tax planning for UK domiciled, non-UK resident client with +£100m multi-jurisdictional estate
- unravelling a multi-million, multi-jurisdictional family trust constituted by private company shares, art, and share and property portfolios to include removing rogue Executors, Professional Trustees and Protectors and successfully completing five Liechtenstein Disclosure Facilities.
- Co-chair the Law Society’s Wills and Equity committee (from August 2020)
- Observer to the Law Society’s Capital Taxes sub-committee
- Member of HMRC’s Agents’ Advisory Group for Trust and Estates
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Outside of work
Rod is married with two sons. He enjoys travelling, live music and spending time with his family and friends.