Richard qualified as a solicitor in 1994 and helped to establish niche bloodstock practice Chalk Smith Brooks in 1999. He is a joint leader of the Racing and Bloodstock team who “knows equine matters inside out” according to The Legal 500 UK. Richard, an “aggressive litigator”, regularly and expertly handles animal-related claims.
He has considerable experience in:
- sports disciplinary and licensing work particularly in horseracing acting in high profile cases, including race-fixing and corruption enquiries
- accidents to riders and horses including claims under the Animals Act 1971
- personal injury work more broadly particularly very serious injury cases with a special interest in chronic pain
- motorbike accident claims
- sporting injuries: accidents involving participants and spectators
- equine claims involving training and other contract disputes, misrepresentation, sales of goods and veterinary negligence.
Richard is also an accredited Mediator and part of the firm’s mediation team. Known in particular for mediating equine-related matters he acts in a wide range of other commercial, property and other disputes.
Richard is the Training Principal for our trainee solicitors and provides support and guidance throughout their training contract.