Richard qualified as a solicitor in 1994 and helped to establish niche bloodstock practice Chalk Smith Brooks in 1999. He is a joint leader of the Racing and Bloodstock team who “knows equine matters inside out” according to The Legal 500 UK. Richard, an “aggressive litigator”, regularly and expertly handles animal-related claims.
He has considerable experience in:
- accidents to riders and horses including claims under the Animals Act 1971
- personal injury work more broadly particularly very serious injury cases with a special interest in chronic pain
- motorbike accident claims
- sporting injuries: accidents involving participants and spectators
- denied health insurance claims often related to ME/CFS
- chronic pain including CRPS
- equine claims involving training and other contract disputes, misrepresentation, sales of goods and veterinary negligence
- sports disciplinary and licensing work particularly in horseracing acting in high profile cases, including race-fixing and corruption enquiries.
Richard is also an accredited Mediator and part of the firm’s mediation team. Known in particular for mediating equine-related matters he acts in a wide range of other commercial, property and other disputes.
Richard is the Training Principal for our trainee solicitors and provides support and guidance throughout their training contract.