- grievances and disciplinaries
- performance and sickness absence management
- complex discrimination issues
- whistleblowing, with particular expertise in the Health & Social care, education and charity sectors
- Employment Tribunal claims
- senior executive exits and settlement agreements
- large-scale redundancy and re-organisations
- TUPE transfers
- Employment aspects of business sales, acquisitions and mergers
James also co-heads the firm’s Health & Social Care Team, and has a thorough understanding of the regulatory and statutory obligations of care providers, dental practices, GPs and pharmacies. He also has substantial experience advising charity and education sector clients.
He has many years’ experience advising on sector specific staffing issues, particularly where there are competing employment law and regulatory obligations and helps navigate clients through these complex issues in a practical and straightforward manner.
James often provides HR and employment law training for clients and is regularly asked to speak at regional and national conferences. He also provides commentary for the sector press.
What other people say
James’ work has been recognised by the Legal 500 (the clients’ guide to the best law firms) as “excellent” and his team has been recognized for providing “an excellent overall service” and for being “very responsive”.
“he is calm and relaxed in his approach with extensive knowledge around subject matters, particularly Employment Law in the context of the Social Care Market”,
Riki Moody, Gloucestershire Care Providers Association
“As an organisation, we are highly satisfied that James has an understanding of our business and the key managers that work within the service as this is reflected in the advice that is provided to us.”
RWK charity sector client
“We always get great advice and service from the team”
Erica Lockhart, Surrey Care Association
“I just wanted to say thank you to you and your team for the excellent service that we have received since we have taken out our employment services with you.
The information that has been provide has been concise, in plain English (jargon free), and the instructions that you and your team have been thorough, and crystal clear.
In addition to this, we always receive a prompt response, and you and your staff always go the extra mile to deliver great advice.
It is a pleasure dealing with you and your team, and we look forward to collaboratively enhancing the great partnership we are developing over the next few years.”
Director, Littlecombe Park Limited
“We have had very good, timely and detailed advice from them which has helped us considerably in resolving issues in a pragmatic manner and in the process avoided expensive escalation of issues. We have worked with several law firms in the past, but our experience with Royds Withy King has been far superior to these other firms especially in their specialist knowledge of the care industry and its everyday common place type issue. This has given us peace of mind and we will highly recommend them without any hesitation.”
Director, Supreme Care Services
Recent work highlights
- Advising a care provider disciplinary action, a whistleblowing investigation and safeguarding referrals to the local authority.
- Advising on a three phase redundancy and restructuring exercise, without any staff appealing the decisions or pursuing Employment Tribunal claims.
- Acting for a charity on managing a joint grievance by six staff against a senior manager and subsequent disciplinary and dismissal procedures.
- Supporting a large housing association with disciplinary proceedings and whistleblowing issues arising out of an adult safeguarding issue.
- Advising a large number of care providers on sleep-in shift compliance and the Social Care Compliance Scheme
- Defending Employment Tribunal claims for sex, race and disability discrimination
- Advising numerous senior executives on company exits.