Dan trained at Burges Salmon and has spent time both in-house and in private practice with Mitie Facilities Services, Bond Dickinson and latterly TSB Bank, before joining Royds Withy King as a partner in 2019.
As a senior commercial lawyer at TSB Bank, Dan led a number of high profile projects across the bank’s procurement, marketing, products and SME business banking teams.
Dan’s specialisms include:
- general commercial work, e.g.
- drafting and advising on contracts for goods and services
- data protection matters, including and data sharing and exports
- IP and collaboration agreements.
- digital technology and media, e.g.
- complex IT and critical service outsourcing projects, agile development
- software and API build, licensing and support contracts, SaaS, cloud services
- digital and social media, analytics, marketing and sponsorship.
- emerging and disruptive technologies, e.g.
- open banking/FinTech
- AI and robotics.
Dan’s recent work highlights (prior to joining Royds Withy King) include:
- leading the negotiations for TSB on strategic partnership agreements with Visa and Mastercard, including advising on issues around migration of card portfolios and compliance with the Interchange Fee Regulations
- negotiating various IT build, support and software licensing contracts as part of the establishment of a mobile onboarding platform for business banking
- supporting TSB’s marketing arrangements for Pride of Britain and Pride of Sport events, including negotiating sponsorship and content distribution agreements with Trinity Mirror, ITV and Global Radio
- negotiating a business critical multi-£million IT build and long-term outsourcing contract for inbound/outbound mail, cheque scanning and SMS/email communications
- providing support to negotiate and extend various insurance intermediary and distribution agreements contracts with Axa, Aviva, L&G and Lloyds Banking Group, including supporting changes to marketing models, and referral arrangements with cashback and aggregator websites
- supporting payments related projects including implementing AndroidPay, and participation in CHAPS, BACS and Vocalink schemes.
Outside of work
Outside of work, Dan spends his time project managing, and mediating between, four young children and a working cocker spaniel. When not rescuing princess dolls from the jaws of dinosaurs, he is a keen follower of Norwich City Football Club.
At the heart of any contract is a commercial relationship. All too often this can be overlooked in protracted legal wrangling. If my time in-house has taught me anything, it’s the value of commerciality, pragmatism, and picking the right red lines.
For me, the appeal of commercial law has always been in the underlying business drivers. I look to develop a deep understanding of the business's needs, priorities and risk appetite, so that I can be an valued partner and integral extension of your team - your external in-house lawyer.