Managing mental health in the workplace with Bath Mind - Bath
Employment relationships are ever changing. Stress at work claims are on the rise. Employers have a legal duty to protect employees’ health, safety and wellbeing. But supporting those with mental health conditions that you cannot see or do not fully understand can be difficult.
If your role includes HR or you’re a manager, how do you maintain employee engagement, productivity, wellbeing and curb sickness absence concerns when you’re not medically trained? How do you ensure that the business isn’t exposed to an employment tribunal claim? We can help. Royds Withy King has teamed up with Bath Mind to train your HR team and managers on managing sickness absence and wellbeing in the workplace. The course will be run by Sally Cook, Mental Health First Aid Trainer, and Pip Galland, solicitor in our Employment team, and will cover the following topics:
Part 1: Mental Health First Aid (Morning)
- how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health concerns in your team
- how to have sensitive conversations with staff and build a supportive culture
- where to signpost staff to professional external help
- how to support and manage staff experiencing stress
- how to remain resilient to dealing with mental health issues at work
Part 2: Employment law (Afternoon)
- what your legal obligations are as an employer
- how to avoid disability discrimination and other employment claims
- how to manage sickness absence / capability
- how to obtain medical evidence and what questions to ask
- when to make reasonable adjustments.
The course will include practical scenarios in which you can apply your learning. At the end of the session you will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss your thoughts on the different scenarios you are likely to come across in practice. Detailed workbooks, breakfast and lunch are all provided during the day.
Date: Thursday 30 November 2017
Time: 9.30am – 4.00pm
Cost: £220 plus VAT. There is a 10% discount for tickets booked before 16 November.