The Clifford Lloyd Education Fund
Pictured (left to right): Clifford Lloyd with his wife Julien; Clifford Lloyd; Mrs Julien Lloyd releasing doves during the Action Mesothelioma Day ceremony in July 2016.
The fund is in memory of our late client Clifford Lloyd, who sadly died in 2012 from mesothelioma.
We acted for Cliff, a retired welder, and his widow Julien and settled their compensation claim in 2015. Cliff's case was unusual as prior to being diagnosed with mesothelioma, he developed asbestosis and made a claim at the time. He received only a few thousand pounds in compensation.
When he sadly developed mesothelioma only a short while after, he returned to his solicitors but they said they could not help him as the asbestosis claim settlement was full and final. Clifford then instructed another firm of solicitors who specialised in asbestos claims. They too, upon the advice of a barrister, advised Cliff that they could not help and that a second claim would be an abuse of process.
We took a different view. We were able to the identify the company where Clifford had been exposed to asbestos, which had not been pursued in the original action. We were able to settle the claim and recover a six figure sum of compensation for Cliff's widow Julien.
Clifford had a thirst for knowledge and told us that if life had dealt him a different hand of cards he would have loved to have been a teacher. The education fund is a tribute to him.
Guidance for and rules for the CLEF Bursary Scheme:
Guidance for and rules of CLEF Bursary Scheme
- The bursaries are discretionary.
- The bursaries are £250.00, for each successful applicant to assist with the cost of attending BTOG and/or NLCFN.
- The closing date for NLCFN applications will be 1st September, and for BTOG 30th November each year, and the successful applicants will be notified within 14 days. We will offer up to six bursaries for each event.
- Preference will be given to those involved in the clinical treatment of patients with mesothelioma but applications from other related areas are also invited.
- Those successful applicants may be invited to meet with us at NLCFN / BTOG and may be asked to blog, to contribute to our newsletters and/or to attend one of our study days and speak about their experience and how the bursary assisted them.
If you are interested in applying for a Clifford Llloyd bursary, please download the application form here.