Specialist lawyers in life sciences, technology and innovation
“In a fast-moving environment, we can provide tailored solutions to help you stay ahead.”
Our multidisciplinary team of specialist lawyers has an in-depth understanding of the scientific and commercial needs affecting businesses on the Harwell Campus.
We can help you protect your interests and secure future opportunities for growth. Whether it relates to intellectual property, investment, property, regulatory issues, employment or dispute resolution, our proactive advice will help to achieve a solution that is right for you, first time round.
Experts for every situation
We regularly act for start-up companies, public sector organisations, universities, multinationals and the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical devices industries. Our expertise covers the full range of needs for organisations based on the Harwell Campus, including:
- research and development
- regulatory compliance and competition
- public procurement and contracting with the NHS
- corporate and commercial advice
- banking & finance
- IP rights, protection, licensing and infringement advice
- property – from leases to acquisitions and disposals
- employment and immigration
- dispute resolution
We can provide you with advice on corporate structures, investment and fundraising, joint ventures, shareholder agreements and mergers & acquisitions.
Intellectual property rights
Your ideas and your products give you the cutting edge. We can help you develop the commercial agreements required so that you can generate revenue from those ideas and products.
In addition, it can be extremely costly to your business if your ideas and products are misused or appropriated by a third party. As intellectual property lawyers, we can help you to protect your ideas and products to prevent this from happening.
Employment and immigration
We can work closely with you on all areas of employment law throughout the lifecycle of your business, including finding and retaining the right people, protecting your business against every eventuality, guiding you through when an employment relationship breaks down and navigating the UK’s fast-changing immigration laws.
Data protection and information governance
Information and data are vital for your business, but one false move and you could find your business facing legal disputes and bad publicity. We can help you ensure that you are adhering to the very latest data protection legislation.
Disputes are stressful and can quickly become costly. Our dispute resolution lawyers will find workable solutions to minimise the impact on you and your business through proactive intervention including negotiation, mediation and if required, court action.
Moving premises needs to be planned carefully; our experts can help you to move your business as quickly and seamlessly as possible.
We are particularly aware of the special requirements of smaller businesses. We can provide tailored packages of services to enable you to budget and keep control of costs while still having access to expertise covering all aspects of your business.
Our recent work includes:
- advising on a life sciences spin out from the public sector
- advising a manufacturer of cosmetic products about the regulatory framework for their supply of products in the UK
- negotiating and drafting an agreement out-licensing patents, know-how and biological material for vaccine development to a global pharmaceutical company
- drafting a material transfer, technology license and joint R&D agreement for the co-development, manufacture and marketing of a vaccine product
- negotiating and drafting a patent license and material transfer agreement for the development of diagnostic assays by an international pharmaceutical company
- advising on lease agreements for leading companies dealing with solar energy, specialist synthetic biology and machine vision systems
- advising Christie & Co on the acquisition of their main competitor in the broker market for pharmacies
- advising a biotech client on a PhD sponsored studentship agreement as well as advising them on a distribution agreement with a Russian exclusive distributor
- advising an academic on a dispute concerning the authenticity of his research findings
- advising a genetics company on GDPR and data protection
- advising a University spin out on a licence to alter and a 10 year lease valued at £308,500 per annum
- advising a technology company on a licence to alter and a 10 year lease valued at £600,000 per annum
Connect Harwell Workshops
Our next Connect Harwell workshop will be taking place on 22 May 2018. Further information, including how to reserve your space, will be provided here soon.
Are you ready for GDPR? See how we can help!